Tuesday, March 1, 2022

March is for Making 2022 Series - Day 1

  It has been a couple of years since I've done a March is for Making series.  The pandemic pause has given me time to reflect, and even do a little personal making.  But something in me feels like it's time for another 30 days of blog posts related to learning through creating and making.   I'm not sure where we'll end up, but if you want to come on the journey with me - jump aboard. 

Since I'm in the middle of teaching a course in Project Based Learning and Inquiry Based Learning at  UVM,  I've been thinking a lot about how a maker space (or similar spaces) support both of  these pedagogical approaches.   

A maker space  not only makes it possible for students and teachers to take a deeper dive into project based learning its also serves as an inquiry space in so many ways. 

When set up correctly, it's a place that makes you WONDER!

When I walk into a maker space I find myself thinking .....

I wonder what I would make with that tool?

I wonder how they made 'that'? 

I wonder how 'this works'?

I wonder if it's possible to . . .

For students who think with their hands, there is no better inquiry space than a maker space. 

How would you set up your maker space to create that sense of wonder? 

Of course, you'll want to showcase  inspiring examples of all types of making.


One of the most inspiring maker space setup  I have seen was in Honolulu at Iolani's K6 Maker space.

 Check out my March 3  2017 blog post for a virtual tour of how Matt Dillon inspired inquiry in his makerspace. 


Tools are visible and accessible. 




Materials were accessible and arranged in a way that encouraged  safety,  stewardship, imagination, and ideation.



A student could approach a station and look at both  materials available and inspiring student  project at once glance.  There was also a place for scrap materials so that you could dive right in once you were inspired.


You'll want to showcase a a wide variety of projects. (Not always easy because students will want to take their projects home. But if you encourage iteration, you might convince them to let you keep their second to last iteration.)




Don't forget to showcase projects in process, as well as projects that emerged from an unexpected turn. 

Add the book Beautiful OOPS  to your your showcase and include projects that evolved from mistakes. 



What would you make if 
you were given the TIME,  the TOOLS, the MATERIALS,
and the MENTORING? 

Would you make a TOASTER from SCRATCH?


or perhaps something equally unique? 

What would your students make? 

How would you document the inquiry? 













No comments:

Post a Comment