As the Christmas holiday approaches while our bus is parked in Tucson, I found myself inspired to create an Arizona inspired e-textile project that can function as this year's Christmas hat.
made an Ugly Christmas Story, Jill created a Rudolph Hat with a temperature sensor, and I created a singing Santa Hat with a tilt sensor in the pom-pom.
And while I still have plenty of LilyPad supplies, I decided to see where the Microbit might take me in playing with eTextile. This felt like a great opportunity to learn how to increase my confidence with Microbit controlled neopixels.
I started with a straw hat that I had purchased to walk around the desert with; the decorative holes were begging for sewable LED's.
I also experimented with where I might want to place my micro-bit and battery pack
so it would be comfortable and secure.
and play with controlling them with block code (via MakeCode). This was actually the first time I have used neopixels in a project. I always felt intrigued but intimidated by them.
Thanks to the Adafruit Uberguide to Neopixels, I started to understand them better.
It still baffles me how so much data can pass through a single piece of conductive thread through a series of neo-pixel lights.
to sew 7 neo pixels onto a piece of black ribbon.
No matter how hard I looked I couldn't spot the problem.
circuits after each cut.
I reworked my design to one with the 5 working neo-pixel strip and moved on.
The plan I came up with was to use conductive thread to sew a piece of fabric onto the microbit - then add snaps to the fabric that were connected to the microbit via conductive thread.
It also kept things soft and flexible.
Of course I tested to snaps in my basket to make sure they were conductive before sewing them on.
I grabbed some good old white thread, a glue gun, and velcro and did a quick job securing everything in place before heading over to play with code.
I think that this seems like the perfect use for that open PIN.
More experimenting ahead --