Thursday, January 2, 2020

Consistently Creating - a 2020 challenge

AJ Jiuliana once again challenges us to accept a 30 day blogging challenge.  I've done this several times, often in March, where I have published 30 days of making.  A few years back I decided to give more attention to my writing about women and girls and tech. That year I managed to write 100 posts in the TechSavvyGirls blog.   Every once in a while, I find myself wanting to write something that does not fit either of those blog areas, and end up adding a posts to an older blog called "Learning With Lucie".    And every once in a while, I update a blog area where we write about our mobile lifestyle out of our BlueBird bus.   

I appreciate AJ's challenge.  One of the things I like about it is that he distinguishes between 'writing' and 'publishing'.  I also like that he allows us to substitute the word "write" with the word  'create'.  These two substitutions are encouraging me to take the challenge.    I had already planned to 'create' more 'consistently' this year.   I've taken more time to 'create' over the holiday break and found myself enjoying it so much.  It brought me joy!  I felt productive and happy at the same time. The things I created connected to my sense of identity as a educator, mom, grandma.  

Here are two things I created  during the past month or so




A- Maker educator apron (e-textile project using micro:bit)


A picture-frame puzzle using laser cutter and Gravit Design

Neither are 100% done, but both are close, and both involved learning new skills or gaining confidence with old skills.  The thoughts about learning through creating and making were ongoing and I can't wait to reflect on the process in a more formal way.

<

In the first project - the maker educator apron, I used design thinking, conductive thread, sewable LED's, a micro:bit and an electronic piece known as the LilyTwinkle. I even broke down and bought a sewing machine so I could learn (or relearn) how to sew. I've never liked sewing because I kind 'suck at it". It was time to let go of my 'fixed mindset' around my ability to sew. Buying an entry level sewing machine was a commitment to a growth mindset around. Now my goal is to keep on learning to use it in my creating and making.


The second project arose out of my desire to learn how to use vector software. I've been struggling with vectors ever since I started using new maker tools.  Each year, I seem to have picked up a little more fluency with vector files, but wanted more confidence and understanding of how to create my own designs using vector software.  On a quest to do so, I came up with a project that engaged me hook, line, and sinker.  It was personally meaningful to me and I picked up so many new skills working with SVG file types.   Of course, this had me reflecting on the importance of relevance and personally meaningful projects  for our students.  

The emotions I felt during both of these learning process are exactly why I want to write more about them.  I look forward to 2020 being a year of increased consistency in my creating and writing and sharing what I learn. 

Jon Gordon, “Successful people do ordinary things with extraordinary consistency, commitment, and focus.” 
Tony Robbins, “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.”

MY 2020 BLOGGING GOAL

  • Write/create 20 - 30 minutes per day, every day for 30 days (you choose the amount)
  • Publish 2-3 posts/videos per week (again you choose the amount)
  • If you miss a day, pick up where you left off. Don’t make up for lost days.


No comments:

Post a Comment